[3830] CQ160 CW K5PTC(@N1LN) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K5PTC(@N1LN) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:03:46 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5PTC
Operator(s): N1LN + (CLUSTER)
Station: N1LN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 756  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 23  Total Score = 147,730

Club: Pesky Texan Contesters

Comments:

The "IF ONLY" contest weekend.

This contest was representative of good news - bad news. Weeks of preparation of
antennas and stations - tested out during the ARRL 160 Contest in December -
planning of the operation schedule - some sleep... perhaps, but this would be
the big effort. I operated 20 hours in December, this time I was going to try
for 26 or more hours. The new contest call would be unveiled - K5PTC ( Pesky
Texan Contesters ).

The clock struck 00:00 UTC and off I went - - - if only for the first 6 hours
and 15 minutes.  The phone rang... the Slammer Virus hit.... and the weeks of
planning and prep were thrown out the window.  From 06:15 UTC on, I was only
able to get another 5 hrs 45 minutes in and those were highly interrupted with
concalls and other work related events. :-(

Oh well - even with the above 'opportunity' - the station worked well, the
conditions on Friday night (can't say much about Saturday) were GREAT.  My best
hourly rate was 93 and for the overall 12 hrs was 63.  Not bad for an
Inverted-L
and 280' short beverages.

Good News - station / conditions / rate
Bad News - Slammer Virus / lack of operating time

Thanks to all that heard me and are in the log - thanks to the DX stations that
pulled South Texas out through the New England Iron Curtain, and ?? NEXT YEAR I
will do better planning around the four letter word ... W O R K and... since
the cluster was not much of a multi-op assistant when I could not operate, I
think I will look for a second person instead.

73,
Bruce - N1LN ( K5PTC )

P.S. - If you like QRP - CW and 40 mtrs, check out the upcoming Pesky Texan
Armadillo Chase.  Details at: http://www.w5nc.org/ptac/default.htm