[3830] ARRLDX CW N0FP SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ford@cmgate.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N0FP SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 19:47:54 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N0FP
Operator(s): N0FP
Station: N0FP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    8     7
   80:   28    24
   40:   81    49
   20:  170    71
   15:  202    68
   10:   77    42
-------------------
Total:  566   261  Total Score = 441,612

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I think we're all spoiled!  Of course conditions are down.  What do you expect?
What was really fun to watch was 20M close down and all the DX moves to the
lowbands.  I had my bandmap completely filled on 40M at one point.  That's never
happened to me before.

The SteppIR worked great.  I discovered something new this weekend.  All the
dispersion/multi-path/backscatter problems on Friday and Saturday night were
easily managed by just reversing the pattern.  The DX was blasting lots of power
over the poles--more than was needed.  The low power stations could easily be
copied.  The HP DX were often really tough to copy at anything above 20WPM
because of the watery-auroral sounding signals.  With my SteppIR 3el, I could
reverse the pattern, listen to the backscatter clean and crisp, and reverse
again (about 1.5 seconds) to send my exchange to the DX.  It worked great!

Lots of fun but we need more DX stations to participate.  This is a bunch of
effort for only 566 Qs.  I worked a sweep (6 bands) with many stations.