[3830] ARRLDX CW K2DM SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K2DM SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:28:03 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K2DM
Operator(s): K2DM
Station: K2DM

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:    8     8
   80:   38    31
   40:  163    60
   20:  210    68
   15:  365    72
   10:  337    66
-------------------
Total: 1121   305  Total Score = 1,025,715

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Decided to try QRP one more time.  I knew I was in for a long weekend when my
first hour was down 28 Qs (40+%) over last year.  Getting answers to CQs on
Saturday was tough, but I got to where I could use the second radio fairly
effectively (everything is relative using QRP) for S&P on one band while CQing
on another.  With the able assistance of K3PH I was able to set up LAN
networking between two laptops running CTWIN, so looking up calls on the second
band was a snap.
I will never cease to be amazed at the pileups that can be broken with only 5W,
but on the other hand you DO need to know when to fold 'em and move on.
With 3 hours to go, I was wondering whether I would make any more contacts at
all.  Thanks to a mini-run of 25 Qs on 40M from 2230 to 2330 I was able to avoid
failing to make a million points.
I noticed that at one point on Saturday my brother Jeff (VY2ZM) and I had the
band edges anchored on 20M.  Guess which end I had.  I suspect his rate was
slightly higher than mine.
Oh well, another one is in the books!