[3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:09:13 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1213   107
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1213   107  Total Score = 388,573

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Out late with family thursday, poor nite's sleep before test. Then, it was such
a nice day, I worked on antennas. Very slow rates after first hour but 20 was
open to all areas except central and eastern Eu at least weakly, so I found 58
mults by 0430Z. I was up at 0530 local (timed about right) for the morning Eu
burst which went well with 144 rate during 11Z hour. Around 1230Z the rate
plummeted as expected as 15/10M opened to Eu. I was able to run Eu during the
morning slowly and activity picked up about 17Z. The band was crowded by 1730Z.
A decent Eu run lasted til about 22Z, the band was open to SW Eu past 24Z. I
could only run a very few JA's til about 0145Z Sunday, then they moved down from
15M and quite a few called til 03Z. Most were very weak and fluttery, a real
challenge. C31LJ called early AM Sunday for DXCC # 100; I hit 1000 Q's/100 mults
shortly after. Snow static hit at 1222Z forcing shutdown for a while; it was
intermittent the rest of the day. Only 40 Q's were worked in last 4 hours, but
caught 6 mults. With 4 mins. left I decided to CQ to the north and was rewarded
with VR2BG at 2359Z! At least it ended on a high note. Snow total about 22
inches, stll snowed in, ugh!