[3830] ARRLDX CW N7OU/HI9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n7ou@teleport.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N7OU/HI9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:23:54 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7OU/HI9
Operator(s): N7OU
Station: N7OU/HI9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Dominican Republic
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:    0     0
   80:  252    42
   40:  806    54
   20: 1121    57
   15: 1001    56
   10: 1025    55
-------------------
Total: 4205   264  Total Score = 3,330,360

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Propagation from HI was even better than I had hoped. I arrived a few days early
to familiarize myself with the station and to get used to being dx. A couple of
cqs on a likely band would inevitably result in a howling pileup. All my qsos
were on my favorite mode cw except for some relaxed, post-contest chats Monday
on 10m ssb.
   During the contest I tried to set an even, steady pace. When not too many
stations were calling me, I could work 3 or 4 a minute, even with my awkward
callsign dragging after every qso like a long tail.
   On Sunday afternoon my paddle or my fist or both developed the yips and it
became increasingly hard for me to send. What started out as e's would become
i's, a's would turn out to be u's, etc. Slowing down and placing the key on a
softer surface helped some. Thanks to the patient ops who bore with me. Maybe I
need to become less keyboard averse.
   Thanks also to Erwin DL7NCF for entrusting me with his excellent house and
station in Las Terrenas, and to Jos and Ans, Los Holandeses, for their good
cheer and hospitality.
   Please qsl via the buro or direct to N7OU with an sase. It will take a couple
of weeks to get cards printed up.
73 mis amigos,
Bill N7OU
Gear: