[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3ZO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3zo@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K3ZO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:29:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZO
Operator(s): K3ZO
Station: K3ZO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 39.5

  160:   25    22
   80:  186    54
   40:  263    71
   20:  817   101
   15: 1020    98
   10:  577    92
-------------------
Total: 2888   438  Total Score = 3,794,832

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

In general it was really noticeable that the sunspot cycle is going down.
Conditions more robust on 80 and 40 -- especially good signals out of Northern
Europe on 40 the first night -- while 10 took its good natured time opening
to Europe both mornings -- in fact it really didn't open wide to Europe at
all on Saturday from here, though I think the fellows in Florida had the
band all to themselves for a while.   But how to explain the good openings
on 10 to Japan?  Openings not as long as they were a couple of years ago
but at their peak signals were really good.

On 20 I have a 4-el Quad at 78 feet and a 6-el monoband Yagi at 150 feet.
For the past four or five years the quad was best to Europe at almost any
hour.  Not this year; the higher antenna was best to Europe any time I
checked.  The only time the quad was better to anywhere was in the early
evening to UA9/UA0.  Another sign of a lower cycle;  the higher antennas play
better.

I did find a way to hit the European sunrise opening on 80/40 both days
and still get my beauty sleep.  Survived the whole weekend without even
one cup of coffee so guess I must be doing something right.

73, Fred, K3ZO
<k3zo@arrl.net>.