[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE3AGC SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3agc@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE3AGC SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 05:04:58 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3AGC
Operator(s): VE3AGC
Station: VE3AGC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Toronto
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:    0     0
   80:   24    21
   40:   55    40
   20:  124    60
   15:  151    55
   10:  116    44
-------------------
Total:  470   220  Total Score = 310,200

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

External engagements were a known drag so expectations were low-300 q's. A few
hours late Friday night were productive but no 160 contacts although several
tried. A half hour surfing Saturday morning. Then the snow started. I managed a
couple of hours Saturday evening before the neighbour complained of tvi (band
was good) so I went to bed. The European sunrise Sunday was dead (9 contacts in
2 hrs) and little more activity until our sunrise when the bands started slowly.
I reached the target by 1 pm and continued. The last 2 hours were quite slow as
people gave up early. Heard lots and got stepped on many times operating LP.
Again stations don't identify for 10-20 qsos and waste LP ops' time. Even the
last half hour identification was lax.

Skip conditions were strange Sunday mid-day when I could work Spain and a 4L but
Italy, Greece and old Macedonia were loud here and couldn't hear me. Tnx to LY5A
for trying to pull me out in the last 5 minutes with no success.

Working conditions 1000MP MkV, DXLB+ inverted V @ 13 meters, all S&P. Even 50W
gave tvi and rf feedback in the snow Saturday night as antenna detuned. Noise
was S9 with static in local power lines. Sunday was quiet.