[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5PTC(@N1LN) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5PTC(@N1LN) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:38:23 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5PTC
Operator(s): KD5TMF, W5MF, K5CX, K7LEX, N5EN, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   29    25
   80:   76    41
   40:  217    67
   20:  293    93
   15:  438    88
   10:  460   100
-------------------
Total: 1513   414  Total Score = 1,879,146

Club: PESKY TEXAN CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

Another contest weekend is over, and we have now had the needed sleep.

The propagation was definitely interesting this weekend.  The low bands (160 and
80) were much better than last year for us, but 20 and 10 fell apart.  We missed
the usual 08:00 UTC Europe opening on 20 mtrs as both nights we totally lost the
band at about 06:00 UTC and it never returned until about 13:30 UTC.  with
everyone on 10 and 15 during the day our 20 mtr Qs were about 1/2 of last year.
That combined with the MUCH lower Qs on 10 meters says we either mis-judged the
right times for band openings or we really got to experience the declining cycle
first hand.

The equipment and new inverted Ls and new operating station layout worked well
and a couple new Ops were exposed to contesting.   One of those new Ops was
KD5TMF, Colin - 15yrs old and new to contesting.  Until this contest he had only
worked 2 JAs and never experienced being the 'target' of a pile up. He now has
experienced his first (and second) JA runs.  That experience is now behind him
and he is anxiously awaiting the next opportunity.

Thanks to all that worked us - and K5PTC (Pesky Texan Contest Club) will be back
next year.

73,
Bruce / N1LN

P.S. - If you enjoy QRP and CW and are free for two hours next week, try out
the
Pesky Texan Armadillo Chase.  Info at: http://www.w5nc.org/ptac/default.htm