[3830] ARRLDX SSB 6D2YFM M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB 6D2YFM M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:50:35 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: 6D2YFM
Operator(s): W5SB, N5DO, KD5BXZ, KE5OG, W5PF, XE1YFM, KA5AKG, W5IDX, XE1YBD,
KK5LO
Station: 6D2YFM

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  322    51
   80:  859    54
   40: 1470    60
   20: 2445    60
   15: 2967    62
   10: 1761    55
-------------------
Total: 9824   342  Total Score = 9,692,622

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

Conditions were pretty good in Mexico for us this weekend. It rained most of
the time and made for nice quite lower bands. 160 meters was as quite as I
have heard it down there. We usually get thunderstorms that make 160 and 75
really noisy. The rain was very slow and no storms. As expected, 15 meters
was our money band. It's hard to predict what 10 meters is going to do since
we are only few miles from the Texas border. Sometimes 10 meters is too long
for us and we just have to sit and listen to the Caribbean make the great
runs. It was pretty good and we even worked quite a few Whiskey 5's.

Our 40-meter beam went south so we put a 40-meter loop up on the tower. It
played pretty well. Our 10-meter stack lost its phasing capability for some
reason. That hurt us some I'm sure. All in all we had a good contest. The
equipment worked flawlessly. We have to run off a generator since the Mexican
power is not too good. We can run the amps off the incoming 240 but the radios
and every thing else has to run off the generator. One leg of the power is
near 90 volts and the other is close to 150 volts. You can turn a light on in
one room of the house and a light in another room goes out.

We had a good crew and we want to really thank Dave N5DO and Bill KE5OG from
the Big Bend Radio Club in Alpine Tx for coming over and joining us. They are
both really good ops and added tremendously to our crew. N5DO was also with us
for CW.

A special thanks to Ken KA5AKG that kept us fed with his great cooking some of
which he had to do in the rain. Ken got his first experience in major
contesting as did Rob, KD5BXZ.

Congratulations to the PJ2T crew for a great score. After looking at their web
site our 6D2YFM operation looks like Field Day in comparison. We have to haul
every thing into the site by SUV's and Pickups over very ruff dirt roads. All
equipment, coax, generator fuel and other necessary supplies are brought in
for the weekend including food and water. Only the antennas and towers are in
place.  It's very much a third world experience. Some of us have to sleep on
cots outside and in the back of our SUV's.  All the food was prepared on a
propane camp stove, a fire pit, and a dutch oven. It's great fun and we keep
going back.

We also want to thank Jaime, XE1YFM, and Daniel, XE1YBD, for their assistance
and support for both the CW and SSB weekends.

Until next year -

The 6D2YFM gang ! ! !

Equipment list:
 1-FT1000MP