[3830] ARRLDX SSB VA3XRZ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VA3XRZ SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:44:13 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA3XRZ
Operator(s): VA3XRZ
Station: VA3XRZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Erin ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    0     0
   20:   81    45
   15:  105    47
   10:  106    40
-------------------
Total:  292   132  Total Score = 115,632

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

TS-830S (90W)
R5 and 40/80m trap dipole
N1MM Logger V2.1.56

Started on 15m and 20m and around 0330Z I decide to try 40 and 80 but nobody
absolutely nobody was listening on their freq in 40m and I don't have split
capabilities at this time (my rig is 20 years old) so I gave up 40. On 80m my
trapped dipole has a very high SWR across the whole band so I gave up that band
too and go to bed. And don't ask why on earth I am using a trapped dipole when I
have enough real estate to easily fit a full size 160m dipole...

The next morning I go straight to 10/15/20m and each QSO took a lot more calling
than usual to the point that I almost give up. When it gets dark I decide to see
how 40 and 80 were so I reach for the trap dipole coax and oops! it's already
connected, I've been using it on the high bands all day long! But I learned
something from this: to northern Europe the dipole is better than the vertical
while for southern Europe is the other way around. At the end I did not work a
single station in 40 or 80m.

Most of Sunday I had a very strong QRM on 10/15/20m, power line noise I
suppose.

A big difference between the CW and SSB rounds of this contest is that in CW I
worked a lot of europeans while in phone worked very few europeans, an amazing
number of LUs and much more JAs than usual.

73,
Julio VA3XRZ