[3830] Commonwealth ZL6QH(ZL1AZE) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brianmiller@xtra.co.nz
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZL6QH(ZL1AZE) Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 02:23:42 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZL6QH
Operator(s): ZL1AZE
Station: ZL6QH

Class: Open HP
QTH: ZL2
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
   80:   55
   40:  133
   20:  253
   15:  199
   10:   87
------------
Total:  727  Total Score = 7,995

Club: WELLINGTON AMATEUR RADIO CLUB

Comments:

EQUIPMENT AND ANTENNAS:

* FT1000MP Mark-V, CT/Quickscore logging.
* Rhombic with 200m legs - switchable between SP & LP to UK.
* Vee beams with 300m legs for SP to Europe, LP to Europe, SP to North America,
and LP to North America.
* 6 element yagi antennas for 10M band - SP to North America and SP to Europe.

COMMENTS:

My personal best score but still behind the New Zealand record of 8062 points
set by ZL4CC (Bob G3PJT) in 2001.

10M was in better shape than expected - considering the poor HF conditions prior
to the contest. However, it was not as good as last year and I guess this
reflects the decline in the sun's activity. Fortunately, we enjoyed a brief 10M
opening to G at the very end of the contest.

Conditions on 20M and 15M were similar to 2002.

I thought 80M and 40M were better this year but still not great. There was a
high level of atmospheric noise on 80m which made copy difficult for weaker
signals. The 80M openings to G were definitely better - I made 22 long path QSOs
compared with 9 in 2002, 16 in 2001 and 15 in 2000.

It was pleasing to see the large number of HQ stations participating this year -
they sure help to boost the final score!

I only worked ZS6KR from Africa this year. No sign of 9J2 and 9G5 or maybe I was
not looking hard enough!

There were some outstanding signals from UK. I noted that G3BJ, G4PIQ/P, G4BUO,
GB5CC and G0IVZ had consistently loud signals across all bands.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs, the Contest Committee for the fun contest,
VK4EMM for the Quickscore software, G3PJT for the publicity and the Wellington
Amateur Radio Club for the use of the ZL6QH facilities.

73

Brian ZL1AZE