[3830] Commonwealth VO1AU(@VO1MP) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VO1AU@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VO1AU(@VO1MP) Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:32:12 -0800

Club:

Comments:

Bonuses:
80m - 38
40m - 51
20m - 58
15m - 44
10m - 36

First, I'm very grateful to Gus VO1MP and his wife Kay for letting me invade
their home for this contest.  I'll have a new station built this summer, but I
just couldn't let the BERU pass without a serious effort.

Gus's station is remarkably modest - a tribander at 40ft and a couple of trap
dipoles - but it outperforms huge stations, mostly by virtue of it's great
location and the enhancements provided by the hilltop terrain.

Condiditons seemed good to very good on the middle three bands, but 10m and 80m
were tough at times.  I found it unusually hard to work VE4 to VE7 on 80m and
VK/ZL was more difficult than I recall from my previous efforts at VE2 and VE9.
The VK turnout, however, seemed up and a few unfamiliar calls came into my log.

The Gs were out in droves.  I was especially pleased to work a few Foundation
(M3) licencees, some of whom appeared to a excellent high-speed CW ops.

This is a personal best score for me and I have hopes of improving on my
previous best ranking of #4 in 2001.

73,

Dave VO1AU and VE9CB (ex-VE2ZP)