[3830] WiQP K5OT/M SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WiQP K5OT/M SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:56:02 -0800
                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: K5OT/M
Operator(s): K5OT
Station: K5OT/M

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 7.0

   80:
   40:  319
   20:  332
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  651     0  Mults = 82  Total Score = 170,146.0

Club: Fond du Lac ARC

Comments:

Thanks to the West Allis RAC for organizing one of the top QSO Parties in the
country.  Last year, I went solo - with a poor antenna and not much time spent
in route planning. Improvements to rig, antenna, and route prep - and
encouraging my son Scott (visiting from TX) to drive for me - made a big
difference this year.  Significant snow on Saturday did cause some concern, but
almost all roads were clear and dry for our trip.  However, the -25F windchill
factor and near zero temps when we left the house Sunday morning made for some
mighty brief pit-stops during the day!

I spent the entire test popping back and forth between 40M and 20M - missed some
easy Q's on 15M but the county lines kept coming up too quickly.  We ended up
pushing our route through 21 counties.  The toughest part was battling
snow-blindness.  Scott had no problems as driver, but I couldn't wear sunglasses
and still see the radio dial or computer screen.  So I set the laptop inside a
small cardboard box (old Field Day trick) and draped a towel over passenger
side-window to reduce the oppressive glare from the snow.  Still, when you
looked up to see route progress/county line markers - and then back down to the
screen - it was impossible to focus on anything for a while.  It wasn't very
pretty, but seemed to help a bit.

Rig:  Kenwood TS-850SAT at 100W
Ant:  Hustler whip with 40/20/15 resonators
        Second small 20M whip on mag-mount over cab
         (seldom used)
Vehicle:  1996 GMC pickup truck
Log:  TR-Log

Counties activated: BUF, PEP, PIE, STC, DUN, CHI, EAU, TRE, JAC,
                    MON, JUN, ADA, MRQ, WSR, POR, WAP, OUT, BRO,
                    MAN, CAL, WIN

  HOUR   40CW    20CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18      27      56      83      83
   19      20      69      89     172
   20      38      36      74     246
   21      31      64      95     341
   22      36      71     107     448
   23      61      33      94     542
    0     107       3     110     652

  TOTAL   320     332

   1.   Tx   68
   2.   Oh   62
   3.   Il   42
   4.   Ny   33
   5.   Pa   29
   6.   Nm   28
   7. Dane   22
   8.   Ga   17
   9.   Ok   17
  10.   Me   16

Thanks to all who followed us from west to east across the central part of
Wisconsin.   It's great to hear the familiar calls - and the new ones - as we
progressed on our trip.  Support the other state QSO Parties for some great fun
on weekends between the major tests.

73,
Larry K5OT