[3830] ARRLDX SSB KQ2M SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kq2m@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KQ2M SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:21:04 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 43.3
Radios: SO2R

  160:   42    34
   80:  285    72
   40:  153    70
   20:  784   117
   15: 1361   108
   10:  424    91
-------------------
Total: 3049   492  Total Score = 4,500,324

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I started a new investment business between ARRLCW and ARRLPhone.  Went into the
contest exhausted and without checking the station thoroughly.  BIG MISTAKE!

Had lots of little annoying problems with amp and radios and station
peripherals.  While I seem to have solved my 160 problem, the 40 wire beam at
50' fixed NE was in disrepair and I couldn't do anything on 40 SSB except waste
my voice!   I didn't have the energy to tromp through 14" of snow on Friday to
attempt an all day project.  I'm not sure it would have helped anyway.

Cndx were just DISMAL which when combined with all those QRP stations in Europe,
made efficient 2 radio work just about impossible for most of the contest.  At
times it was almost as bad as bottom of the cycle conditions, except bottom of
the cycle with low A & K indices are far more enjoyable than the amazingly rapid
qsb combined with auroral noise and awful precip static from the blizzard
crushing the East Coast.  Attempting to work those qrp EU stations under these
cndx is most frustrating and painful!

The 40 meter situation has gotten SO BAD, that I think I'm begining to like 160
SSB better! UGH!  With many of the EU stations S9-S9+20 with processers cranked
wide open, some of these guys were almost 5 kc wide.  Adding to the mess was the
fact that often the EU stations don't listen to each other and wind up being 2,
3 and even 4 deep on a given freq. making qso's almost impossible. It's like
"hand-to-hand" combat.

Some highlights and lowlights:

Highlights:

1) Unexpected and amazing JA run on 15 on Saturday night!  One of my best ever
in the past 20 years.  I'm still trying to figure that one out.   :-)

2) Having XU, XV and XW call you on the same band!

3) Having JW5HE and 8Q7VR call me simultaneously on 20!  WOW!

4) Lots of mult qsy's to other bands from 6Y8Z, V26P and many others. THANKS!

5) H44MS calling me at 0714 on 40 with my 40 meter NE wire beam at 50'!

6) Working 9V1YC - the loudest station all weekend - on LP!

7) Working my friends around the world in another contest.  Something I
appreciate more and more with each passing year!

8) My XYL and 3 1/2 year old daughter letting Daddy play radio after I didn't
spend time with them during hte week.

9) Getting some sleep BOTH nights!

Lowlights:

1) 40 Meter SSB!  UGH!  :-(

2) Awful QSB + Auroral Noise + snow static.  UGH!

3) Annoying radio and station problems sucking out lots of operating time.

4) Unbelievably wide and distorted EU SSB signals destroying the bands.

5) Too much work and too little sleep before the contest.

6) Listening to VY2ZM, K1TO and other stations either East or South of me run EU
when I couldn't even hear them.  I guess this will become pretty common over the
next few years.

Despite it all I am glad that I operated.  As usual there were lots of little
surprises and many challenges.  No two contests are ever the same and that is
what makes it all worthwhile!

Congrats to Jeff, K1ZM who is really using the low bands effectively from his
new station on PEI.  Must be fun to be 1000 miles closer to EU on a weekend like
this one.

Thanks for the qso's!  See you all in WPXSSB!

73  Bob KQ2M