[3830] WPX SSB VA7RR(@VE7SZ) SOSB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VA7RR(@VE7SZ) SOSB20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:55:58 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: Canada
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2005
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Allan, VE7SZ, for the use of his station and 20 meter stacked
antenna array.
     My story is the same as many others.  Compared to 2002, QSOs were up,
multipliers were down, and the final score declined.
     I thought that conditions were actually not too much different from 2002,
except for one really important issue --lack of JAs in the log.  I worked less
than 100 the whole weekend, which is really pathetic. Would have expected at
least 250.  I was pretty much shut out to that area of the world.  Logged a JT1,
but did not work a single DU, BY, BV, 9V, HS, etc., and only a few HLs and
YBs.
     I called lots of EU stations that responded by calling another CQ! I think
this might have been because conditions were so bad that the EU stations were
working each other instead of beaming toward North America during the North
American (non) opening. It was interesting to hear the big guns in EU
complaining, during the openings, about the poor rates into the USA.
     It was mostly S&P for the Europeans on Saturday (was able to work them
starting at about 1730Z), and I was surprised to get a 10 minute run of
one-a-minute during the 2200Z hour (yup, that was the day's highlight).
     Sunday was a bit better, but not much.  I'd call CQ and get one EU, then
call CQ for three to five minutes before the next one would answer. I had, I
thought, clear frequencies--tried high in the band, low in the band, and in the
middle, and although those who called said my signal was ok, there was no
sustained rate whatsoever.
     Thanks to all for the QSOs!

73,

Gary  VA7RR