[3830] EA RTTY VE1OP SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] EA RTTY VE1OP SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:56:53 -0700
                    EA RTTY Contest

Call: VE1OP
Operator(s): VE1OP
Station: VE1OP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NS
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

   80:
   40:   27    22
   20:  207    77
   15:  209    75
   10:   16    19
-------------------
Total:  459   193  Total Score = 173,314

Club:

Comments:

Major struggle Saturday afternoon with poor conditions, and when the high bands
shut down I decided to pull the plug and kill a bottle of rum with the wife Sat
evening...At that point 40 and 80 were nothing but S9 noise...Didn't hear any
signals at all on 80 and 40 was rough going...

Huge improvement Sunday morning...Got up early to try and catch a possible
opening on 80 or 40 but only caught the scattered QSO on 40...Again, not one
signal heard on 80...Tried some CQ's but the only result of those was realizing
that the grid current on the amp was only reaching 50 mA...Bad tube I guess...

Kept monitoring 20 and started to hear some EU around 1000z, so my hopes
improved...Within a half hour I was running EU with strong signals so I knew at
least 15m would likely come around, and possibly 10m before the contest
ended...When 1100z rolled around 15m was wide open so spent the next few hours
there...Even had a small opening to JA land (a rarity at my QTH) so was pleased
to pick up 9 new mults on 20m...Hearing JA at s9 or better is a treat for
me...Most times, they are barely audible and sound like they're coming from the
bottom of a 45 gallon swish barrel...Then 10m produced a few signals, but really
wierd propagation...Beam pointed NE picked up US stations, beam pointed South
picked up EU...Didn't argue, just kept gathering up a few precious mults and
Q's...

All in all a fun contest with lots of unknown calls heard...RTTY is growing by
leaps and bounds...Great to see...

I think I'll make it a point to ignore AA5AU and K4GMH until the end of future
contests...Too depressing working them early and receiving a serial number
that's 70 QSO's ahead of mine!! (Just kidding)...

Highlights of the contest: A GREAT 15m opening Sunday morning, always makes
things fun, never know who you'll hear...And the JA opening on 20m (again,
that's an exciting treat for me)...

Lowpoints: Not one QSO on 80 metres (ouch!...) Was the major reason for the
difference between my final score and most of the higher ones...And lousy 40m
results...

Had an abnormal amount of freq fights, the result of good propagation I
guess...Finally programmed an F key to say QRL QRL PSE QSY as I got tired of
typing it every 10 minutes...Part of the game...

Lotsa fun, look forward to the next one...

73 and thanks for all the Q's...

Scott VE1OP