[3830] WPX SSB NK7U M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NK7U M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 05:53:16 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, KW7J, K7ZO
Station: NK7U

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 31

------------
  160:   24
   80:  301
   40:  177
   20: 1007
   15: 1018
   10: 1081
------------

Club:

Comments:

More or less a leisure class M/2 effort. WriteLog showed only 31 hours on the
air. We decided to move to M/2 because WriteLog could not manage the serial
number management in the M/S class with a separate mult radio. This is a general
problem with any serial number oriented contest where you have a mult or second
in-band radio but need a single serial number sequence across both radio & PC's.
We didn't find the note from N8BJQ about this issue and relieving M/S entries
from the single serial number string requirement until after the contest was
over. We had fun though. As a M/2 with three ops, and K7ZO was only there the
first day, it pretty much meant you could just sit down and operate whenever you
wanted.

We can't add much to the postings to date. What can you say when you had more
QSO's with CM or YV than we did with DL, G, F, I, or EA? Basically this contest
turned into a high power NAQP. Still fun for sure with long sustained rates of 1
and 2 point QSO's. Our score certainly suffered from the lack of staffing during
late night hours and the consequent lack of 6 point JA QSO's on 40M. (We had 1,
though we did have 39 on 80M and Joe did spend time running them at our sunrise
both days.) Looking at some of the logs there certainly is a wide range of
average points/QSO that suggest differences in operating strategy, propagation,
and hardware capabilities. For example:

* NK7U:  1.60 points/QSO -- about the lowest around, minimal 40-160 operation
* N7GYD: 2.78 points/QSO -- up near Seattle, how did he do this? As a single op
he beat our score with 800 fewer QSO's and 50 less prefixes.
* W6TK:  3.24 points/QSO -- one of the highest around, double our rate! Was
propagation that different down south?

We also thank Dan, K6IF, for making the recording of the contest at VC1R
available. Was fun to listen to ourselves from the other end.

Scott/K7ZO for the NK7U crew