[3830] FQP NJ4M/M M/SABMixed (sometimes) LP Summary

To: Florida Contest Group <fcg@mailman.qth.net>, Florida QSO Party<fqp@kkn.net>, Scores <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] FQP NJ4M/M M/SABMixed (sometimes) LP Summary
From: Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:03:02 -0400
Call: NJ4M  (mobile Saturday only)
Operator(s): K4LOG, WD4AHZ
Station: K4LOG/M

QTH: MTE

   40:    0     0
   20:   30    10
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   30    10  CW Mults = 17  Ph Mults = 7  Total Score = 3,360

QTH: HAR

   40:    0     0
   20:   47     6
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   47     6  CW Mults = 19  Ph Mults = 6  Total Score = 5,000

QTH: HIG

   40:    0     0
   20:   20     0
   15:    1     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   21     0  CW Mults = 13  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 1,092

QTH: OKE

   40:    0     0
   20:   36     7
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   36     7  CW Mults = 20  Ph Mults = 7  Total Score = 4,266

QTH: GLA

   40:    0     0
   20:   38     7
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   38     7  CW Mults = 21  Ph Mults = 6  Total Score = 4,482

QTH: HEN

   40:    0     0
   20:   37     7
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   37     7  CW Mults = 21  Ph Mults = 5  Total Score = 4,212

QTH: PAL

   40:    0     0
   20:   19     4
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   19     4  CW Mults = 15  Ph Mults = 3  Total Score = 1,512

QTH: BRO

   40:    0     0
   20:   37     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   37     0  CW Mults = 25  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 3,700

QTH: DAD

   40:    0     0
   20:   41     6
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   41     6  CW Mults = 17  Ph Mults = 4  Total Score = 3,696

QTH: CLR

   40:   30     0
   20:   50    17
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   80    17  CW Mults = 33  Ph Mults = 9  Total Score = 14,868

QTH: LEE

   40:   60     0
   20:    0     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   60     0  CW Mults = 30  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 7,200

QTH: CHA

   40:   33     0
   20:    0     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   33     0  CW Mults = 20  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 2,640

Total CW QSO's = 479 Total SSB QSO's = 64

Total QSO's = 543

Well, that was fun!!! Must have been the conditions Saturday afternoon, but things were pretty slow at times (especially on SSB). Didn't experience the "massive" pileups as we changed counties ... until we hit LEE and then CHA ... WOW ... from a mobile, on 40!! I can't even do that well from home!

Sorry we missed the dirt road turnoff into MON (it's dark in the Everglades at night!) and ran out out time before we could make it to DES. Some of the comments I've seen, made it sound like they were in demand ... but glad others were able to pick up our "slack"!

We decided to work Mixed Mode, to help out the SSB guys ... who always seem to lose out, when it comes to the mobile activity. We worked guys on SSB ... even weak ones ... and got a few "nice signal" reports ... but yet, we were unable to generate any kind of a decent run! Sometimes we QSY'ed from CW to SSB when asked - other times we had a little run going on CW, and didn't want to quit at that moment ... but we did move when things slowed down. The only counties we didn't even attempt SSB were LEE and CHA. But in the end ... there was still a huge difference between the number of SSB and CW QSO's. I can understand why the mobiles concentrate on CW ... and only QSY to SSB when asked. The SSB activity (or difficulty in generating activity) just doesn't seem worth the effort ... but hope we helped some.

K4LOG and I threw our mobile station together in about 4 hours, spent over 2 days (and a few minutes here and there). The rest of the time, we spent shaking our heads and grinning over our "handy work"! It wasn't the prettiest looking FQP mobile on the road, but other than having the cable from our keyer to the rig fail (after that, had to send all CW via the keyboard) ... everything played and worked well! We've got some photos ... and hope to get those posted on-line for all to enjoy!

We had a blast and we're already thinking about the "possibilities" for next year's mobile effort! (Hey, isn't the County Hunter's CW Contest next weekend? Hmmm ... )

73, Ron  WD4AHZ
    Rich K4LOG (1st FQP!)
a.k.a. NJ4M/M