[3830] WPX CW NG6O(@K6KM) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2kw@prodigy.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NG6O(@K6KM) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 19:12:01 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NG6O
Operator(s): WA6O, KE7X, K2KW
Station: K6KM

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:    3
   80:  179
   40:  731
   20: 1495
   15:  881
   10:   89
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Bill K6KM and Ginny, N6RER for letting us take over their house
and station!  They are always gracious hosts.

We also concur with other comments made from the west coast:  conditions stunk!
Though we did have some nice EU runs on 20m in the early evenings, and in
general were able to work EU most of the contest on 20m, but often it was like
pulling teeth.  I think we didn't work many, if any, EU on 15m on Saturday, but
did work some on Sunday.  10m was pretty much a wash-out, the only DX being SA,
a few Carib, and a few VK/ZL.  Were were hoping for some decent Es on 10m, but
it didn't happen.  But the boys on 6m sure had some great Es stuff over the
weekend.

On Friday evening we did work a few EU's on 40m, but not all that many.  One of
the nicest surprises was the opening into JA on 40/80 on Saturday evening
(local).  40 was sounding really sweet, so at JA sunset, we moved one station to
80, and I think we pretty much opened the band as there was almost no activity
when we got there.  Immediately we were getting lots of JA's calling and many
were 20 over S-9.  I guestimate we worked about 80 JA's during that run.  We
also had a number of VK, ZL, and other Oceania stations call in on 80, with some
nice stations like BX4, & YB0 also calling in.

The station played great (as always).  Lots of antennas to play with:
10m:  4/4/4/4 stack, 8 ele long boom, 6 ele long boom
15m:  4/4/4 stack, 6 ele long boom
20m:  5/5
40m:  3 ele, 2 ele @ 25' fixed on USA
80m:  dipole, vertical dipole
160m:  dipole

FT1000MP, FT1000MarkV, 2 x Alpha 87A

All aluminum is Force 12.  Of interesting note was the 2 ele 40m fixed on USA.
On Friday morning, we took the fixed aluminum dipole (typically used for
north-south local stuff in SS), aimed it at the East Coast, and added a wire
reflector.  This gave us the ability to double beam on USA and JA/Pac - it
worked great!

I think the only 6-bander was NQ4I - great job guys!

Kenny K2KW

Note:  above QSO totals INCLUDES dupes.