[3830] ARRL June VHF K3ZO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3zo@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K3ZO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:20:06 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  528   127  Total Score = 67,056

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Took five hours off Saturday night for a social event but
otherwise was there for the big openings on 6.  Looks like
the constant bombardment of Earth by particles from the
Sun has juiced things up for the Sporadic E season this year.
It seemed like most all day Sunday there was a low level
opening to the Caribbean area.  Every time I looked either
VP5KE or KP4's or TI's or YV's or all of the above were in
there.  K4QI, NG4C and W4TJ had nice-sounding backscatter
signals too but when I called CQ hoping for backscatter QSOs
what I got were answers from a YV and a KP4.  Nice to have a
bit of double-hop to the West Coast Saturday afternoon also.

My tallest tower took a direct lightning hit Thursday night
but none of my VHF antennas or their rotor were affected as
they are on another tower.  However Murphy managed to infiltrate
this VHF contest effort anyway.  When I fired up my contest
computer before the contest I noticed that my Sony monitor's
color scheme had been affected.  Depending on what part of the
screen a word appeared it had a different color, creating sort
of a color mishmash looking a bit like modern art.  However
everything else worked and I was able to log the contest without
problems.  However at the end when I tried to print the log I
couldn't -- the printer card had been zapped, and when I tried to
put the log on a floppy to take to my main computer, I discovered
that both floppy drives had been zapped as well.  Had to copy the
log by hand and then re-type it in order to submit it today.

(OK I should have a LAN connecting my three computers by now,
but if I had had one would all the computers have been zapped???!!)

Equipment used:

Yaesu FT726R driving Johnson Thunderbolt 6N2 amp
(2 x 4CX250B = 700 watts)
9-el M-Squared on 40 foot boom @ 110 feet for 6 meters
15-el Cue Dee @ 115 feet for 2 meters.