[3830] ARRL June VHF K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:35:10 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC, K9TM, WX3M
Station: K8CC

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: EN82
Operating Time (hrs): 28

    6:  435   115
    2:  278    51
  222:   62    33
  432:  120    37
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  895   236  Total Score = 254,172

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment:

50   IC746Pro, 8877, 7L @ 95', 5L @ 40', KB6KQ Loops @ 50'/70'
144  IC746Pro, 2002A, 13/13 @ 100', 4Ls N, SE, SW @ 75'
222  IC756, 8877, 16L @ 70'
432  FT847, 100W, 424B @ 80'

The first day was a lot of fun staying busy on 50 MHz, but 2nd day was slow.
Very painful to watch all of the spots from W4/W5 and NOT ONE SIGNAL ON THE BAND
for long stretches.  Fun working west coast late into the Saturday evening.
Chased N0JK/VP9 all weekend without a peep heard, then he calls us Sunday
evening!

Big disappointment in that our new IC746Pro would not drive the new AntennaWorks
8877 amp on 144 MHz.  As soon as the radio would go into transmit, the ALC would
peg and not settle back for 3-4 seconds (during which time no RF was output).
It would do this even with no drive, and/or with the amplifier keyed separately.
 Anyone with ideas on the cause for this please drop me a note.  We set up our
previous FT-1000MP/DEMI xvtr with the 8877 which worked fine until the xvtr blew
up for reasons as yet undiagnosed.  OTOH, the IC746Pro worked perfectly with our
old Henry 2002A for the rest of the contest.

Other exciting moments:

- Successful scatter skeds with Jeff, K1TEO on 50 and 144.  Just traditional
methods (SSB/CW) - none of that new-fangled WSJT stuff :-)

- W2SZ at S8 answering my 222 MHz CQ with ten minutes to go, and completing QSOs
for three new mults in last few minutes.

- Hearing other fellow MRRC members making QSOs on VHF/UHF for first time.

Hope to see everyone in September!

73,

Dave/K8CC

QSO AND RATE BREAKDOWNS