[3830] ARRL June VHF KB8U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KB8U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:25:52 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: KB8U
Operator(s): KB8U
Station: KB8U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN71
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  161    65
    2:   95    34
  222:   35    23
  432:   56    24
  903:    9     7
  1.2:   19    15
  2.3:   10     6
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:    4     3
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  390   177  Total Score = 102,306

Club:

Comments:

I Started 1 hour late due to station upgrades taking longer than expected and
the discovery of a bad coax switch.  In lieu of the switch I was forced to swap
cables manually.  Once  fatigue set in this resulted in the inevitable mistakes
being made and I think I blew up the 222 amp and the IF output on 902 on Sunday
due to that.  Judging by other's posts about similar disasters resulting in
fried radios, the manufacturers must LOVE contests!

New this year was 10W amps for 1296 and 2304, and a new band, 10GHz.  The amps
sure made a big difference on those bands.  This contest saw my first 10GHz QSO
so I'm sure operator inexperience caused me to miss a few QSOs on that band.
NE8I and WA8VPD roved over to my shack on Sunday afternoon in part so that I'd
be sure to get a couple of QSOs on 10GHz.  It was fun socializing with them,
too.

6M was great on Saturday (too bad I missed the first hour) and almost completely
dead on Sunday.  2-432 was below average to the east throughout the contest and
I stayed on 6m too long on Saturday so scores were way down on those bands
compared to last year.

My score was lower than last year, but I did pick up a few new grids, will
probably finish 1296 VUCC and in general had lots of fun... well except for the
blown radios!