[3830] IARU VE3NZ SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3nz@pathcom.com
Subject: [3830] IARU VE3NZ SO CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:24:01 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VE3NZ
Operator(s): VE3NZ
Station: VE3NZ

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: Toronto, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:  201     0      28
   20:
   15:
   10:
---------------------------
Total:  201     0      28  Total Score = 16,828

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Equipment Description:      IC-706 5W, 40 mtr Delta loop

Club Affiliation: CCO

Notes:  This contest really is for the "Champs" with antenna farms, not for
"little pistols". I had to spend lots of time to line up for multiplyers, until
the Mega Players all had their contacts made. Well, good way to build stamina
for sure. CT has a MONO Band category for this event, but the arrl robot refused
my single band entry log, so now I am in ALL-QRP-CW. Good thing that QRP
category still valid, even though the URL
www2.arrl.org/contests/rules/2003/iaru.html does not mention power levels at
all.

It was wonderful to stay on 40 meters all night. Never heard before booming this
strong, S9+30 dB GB5, 3V8, YV, W6, ZS4 and KH6 ALL at the same time. Even CQ-ing
was working for me quite often, when I could keep the frequency. My only pileup
happened early morning. I put CT on automatic pilot (RPT), then I had a
micro-sleep (don't exactly know how long, sorry :-). When I woke up, a mini
pileup was calling me. Everybody got quickly served with an exchange, my hourly
rate suddenly topped at the fantastic 26.5(!) and this rush of adrenalin kept me
pretty alert for the rest of the contest, even when the 10 min rate dropped to
1.8. Poor thing I missed VA3RAC. Glenn was having a nice pileup, and 5W could
not break it, from my location that is.

go Team CCO . . .

73, VE3NZ   -George