[3830] OhQP K8MR/M Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8MR/M Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:59:48 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 21 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:  138      0
   40:  463     49
   20:  117     15
   15:    0      1
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  718     65  CW Mults = 59  Ph Mults = 29  Total Score = 132,088

Club: Northern Ohio DX Association

Comments:

Breakdown by County:

              CW      SSB
CARR          15        1
TUSC          15        1
HARR          23        1
GUER          26        3
BELM          35        3
MONR          44        7
NOBL          41        7
MORG          44        23
PERR          45        11
ATHE          46        1
HOCK          38        2
FAIR          47        2
LICK          48        0
MUSK          33        2
COSH          38        3
HOLM          22        0
KNOX          44        0
ASHL          44        0
RICH          33        0
WAYN           6        0
MEDI          29        0

Multipliers:

CW:      38 states     21 counties
SSB:     21 states    9  counties

HA1AG asked if the MRRC has a contract with the Sun gods?   Definitely not, but
does someone have a contract with the Sun gods on the OQP?

At least after the X5 flare in 2001 and the S3 Class Solar Radiation Storm in
2002, the run of the mill minor geomagnetic storm this year was unremarkable,
considering it was caused by the same coronal holes have been hanging around for
months, and have ruined a lot of other contest weekends, like Field Day, IARU,
IOTA, etc.

But the weather in Ohio was wonderful, and we had a nice trip.  Lots of
interesting stories.  At our usual hilltop stop in Guernsey county we found a
Amish buggy parked there selling baked goods and other Amish souvenirs.  We
passed on the shoo-fly pie, but discovered the power lines there were noisy, so
soon left to find a different spot.  We stopped in Noble county at a memorial
for a 1925 dirigible crash, and stopped in Morgan county at a neat roadside park
honoring the coal mining (e.g. strip mining) industry, featuring a bucket from
an old drag line that would hold a two car garage with space to spare.  Also in
Morgan county driver W8DRZ spotted a junked army tank along side of the road (we
stopped), and in Nelsonville in Athens county we almost got sucked into being
part of the town parade.

Yeah, the bands sucked for short stuff, though this year we made two qsos with
other Ohio mobiles.  We only worked about half a dozen Europeans, though I
sensed that at times we had a pileup that was just too far into the noise.  My
apologies to DL5MC who called in with a decent enough signal just as we started
down the non-Europe side of a steep hill, thereby losing him into the noise.
The fact that OQP requires you to actually copy some information (vs. a "599"
and a QTH you can figure out from the call) cost us some QSOs that would have
been made in some other contests.

Our one QSO on 15 was a local one with AD8J.  I heard some W6's with decent
signals up there, but no answers to my CQs, and nobody was calling CQ for me to
answer.

No equipment problems.  The closest thing to a problem was that we had not
expected to operate from Wayne county, but when we got to I-71 near Mansfield
(RICH) at 10:45 pm, we decided to just head north toward home.  When we crossed
into Wayne, I realized I had no file made up, and somehow crashed the computer
in trying to make one.  By the time I got it straightened out, we had covered
about half of our six miles in that county.  We did get home by 12:30 am, a
record early time.

Thanks to all who followed us around Ohio.  See you in next year's OQP, and when
the MR/DRZ Road Warriors next head out in the Pa QSO Party in October.

73  -  Jim  K8MR