[3830] TxQP W5KRW/M SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kwest@sulross.edu
Subject: [3830] TxQP W5KRW/M SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:14:40 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: W5KRW/M
Operator(s): W5KRW
Station: W5KRW

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: Panhandle
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

  160:
   80:
   40:         261
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:           2
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:   0     263      0  Mults = 89  Total Score = 77,314

Club: Big Bend ARC

Comments:

The score includes 30,500 mobile bonus points (27 counties & 6 mobiles)

This was only my third contest as a General, all as a mobile station.  This year
planned to cover 35 counties over the 18 hours, and found my timetable wasn't
going to work.  Instead of limited my time in each county, I'd get involved in
working pile-ups and giving as many contesters as possible mobile contacts.  I
use an Alinco DX-70T with a "Hear It Now" DSP speaker, all connected to a Heil
headset (DX-4 element), and Hustler antenna.  Everythings mounted on a 1994 Ford
Taurus station wagon (affectionately called the Turtle Wagon, since I have to
stop to TX).  Everything that's been said about the noise from the Taurus fuel
tank pump is accurate; I shut off the engine to work stations.

I had planned to use a laptop to record my contacts, but found all the gear with
the computer too much drain on just the car battery, so went back to paper.  It
worked well, and with so few contacts, transferring after the event to computer
wasn't too difficult.

Also had planned to work 20m SSB exclusively, but found my antenna was reading
an SWR of 6.2, so went back to the old Hustler and 40m.  Was a good thing
considering the flare on Sunday, and the number of mobiles working 40.  I more
than doubled my numbers from last year, and owe much to luck and planning.

Overall, I traveled 1260 miles from my home QTH (Alpine, Brewster Co., TX) back,
operated from 27 counties in the TX Panhandle, contacted 85 TX counties and 4
states (including the Motorola SE station), worked five mobiles in at least five
counties, and one mobile (K5P) in over 10 counties.  I had a great time, plan to
do as well or better next year, and won't take any long trips for a while (at
least a week).