[3830] CaQP W6AMM(ND2T) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, berson@anagram.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6AMM(ND2T) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:49:34 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6AMM
Operator(s): ND2T
Station: W6AMM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SCLA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:   24     91
   40:    4     79
   20:   19    173
   15:   15    260
   10:    2     23
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:   64    626  Mults = 58  Total Score = 83,752

Club:

Comments:

Equipment: 765PROII barefoot (100W), SteppIR 3-el yagi @ 35? for high bands,
wire dipole for low bands.

Because of Very Bad Planning on my part QCP this year was sandwiched between two
long business trips, and was a near-collision with an important religious
obligation. So my goals were limited: 1) take a new club call, W6AMM, out for a
spin, and 2) get a sweep.

I wound up working the contest for 14 hours, on and off. My per hour point
production was 2.5x my debut effort last year. Some of this is antenna upgrade,
and a little may be a year of experience, but most must be the fantastic
propagation. That said, I?d like to double it again.

Last year I entered CQP using ND2T, and was forever explaining to stations both
in-state and out- that I am, indeed, in California. It turns out that ?6? and
only ?6? is synonymous with California in the amateur radio mind. I dislike
using the virgule except when truly portable, mobile, etc., so I formed a club
and obtained for it a call I thought might work well in both CW and phone.
Thanks to many NCCC members for help with this, especially K0BEE, N6NZ and N6DE.
I can report that W6AMM works fine. Even though it is in neither the supercheck
database nor the NCCC database I was almost never (<0.5%) asked for a repeat or
clarification. I?ll learn how many people busted it when the logs are checked.

The sweep finally came at 24h21 into the contest when KB8CL called me with a
booming signal and gave me 3 SD.

I enjoyed seductively high run rates on phone, so largely stayed there out of
laziness and sheer enjoyment. With the sweep out of the way, the fantastic 15M
EU opening on Sunday morning was icing on the cake.