[3830] CaQP VE7SZ(VA7RR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP VE7SZ(VA7RR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:18:30 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: VE7SZ
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    6      6
   80:   45    124
   40:   87    234
   20:  123    531
   15:   49     77
   10:   22      8
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Allan, VE7SZ, for hosting me for the California QSO Party last
weekend.  Allan's station works great in both DX and domestic contests, and the
CQP is no exception.

     This was my first high power try in the California affair since 1997.  The
idea was to wait through the year-2000 sunspot peak, and do the contest again
once general conditions had deteriorated to the point where 10 and 15 meters
would not be as much of a factor for the CA stations.

     The reason for this is that, operating from British Columbia, I'm too close
to CA, and my signal skips right over most or all of the state on 10 and 15.
Twenty is always the "bread and butter" band from here in VE7.  I'm favored if
the W6s have lousy conditions on 10 and 15, and are forced to spend their
daylight hours on 20.  It's not as much fun for them, but it's far better for
me!

     Conditions this year were worse that the 2002 CQP, and I guessed correctly
that this was the year to try again.  I finished about 4K over the existing
out-of-state record, and got above 1,300 QSOs for the first time.
Unfortunately, I missed a county - Glenn - and it really, really hurt.  Missing
the mult made the difference between a narrow first place finish and having to
settle for second.

     Congrats to K5TR on the top finish and the new record score.  George
figured out exactly what it takes to be successful in the CQP in his first
serious effort at the contest. Also remarkable is the low power 155K number from
Ken, W8MJ, in Michigan.

     Finally, I want to pass along thanks to those in the NCCC that organized
this year's Cal QSO Party.  My guess is that there were more active W6 stations
this year than in any past running of the CQP.  Keep up the good work -- I, for
one, will be back next year.

     Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73,

Gary   VA7RR