[3830] Oceania CW ZL2BR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Oceania CW ZL2BR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:36:18 -0700
                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL2BR
Operator(s): ZL2BR
Station: ZL2BR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: New Plymouth
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:
   80:   18    11
   40:  303   193
   20:  256   166
   15:  207   131
   10:  120    70
-------------------
Total:  904   581  Total Score = 1,583,225

Club:

Comments:

Due to the falling flux numbers I was prepared for a lower score
than last year but even so I would have like a few more contacts
than I eventually finished up with.

I had decided to concentrate on 40m for those 5-point contacts,
and so spent 9 hours on that band, which was more than any other
band. Main reason for lower score than last year was fewer
prefixes, due to less time on 15/10m plus poor conditions on those
bands compared with last year. In hindsight a few more band
changes for short periods between 40m and 20/10m could have
netted me at least another 100 contacts.

Heard/worked 14 ZL and 15 VK. Which I think once again means
that per capita, ZL support for this contest is much much better
than VK. For VK participation to equal ZL on a pro-rata basis, there
should have been around 60 VK stations active! Only 5 non-VK/ZL
Oceania stations heard/worked, 4W, DU and 3 KH6/7. Didn't hear Mike
KH6ND this year, or maybe he was disguised as KH7X ?

Highlights included some semi-rare DX (for ZL anyway) of 7Q7QP,
OY9JD, TF8DX, V31LZ and JY9QJ.
Lowlights was a domestic JA contest conflict.

But overall an interesting and challenging fun 24 hours - as all
contests are, and packing the xyl off to stay with daughter in
Wellington worked out well !

My thanks to everyone for the contacts.

73, Frank ZL2BR