[3830] PaQP K8MR/3 Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] PaQP K8MR/3 Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:28:10 -0700
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: K8MR/3
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR/3

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 27 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:    0      0
   80:  110      8
   40:  596    388
   20:  207     20
   15:   76     15
   10:    0      1
    6:    0      3
    2:    0      8
--------------------
Total:  989    443  Mults = 126  Total Score = 269,369.0

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

By County:

          CW   SSB
MER       37   26
VEN       31   47
CLA       36    0
JEF       54  106
FOR       71   64
WAR       22    0
MCK       21    0
ELK       66    0
CLE       55    0
CEN       32    0
CLI       38    1
UNI       44    2
NUM       38    0
MTR       32    0
SNY       47   63
MIF       36    0
JUN       57  122
PER       21    0
CUM       35    3
FRA        8    2
HUN       13    0
FUL       29    0
BED       37    2
SOM       36    0
WES       48    0
ALL       39    0
BUT       11    0

65 counties; missed Wayne and Juniata  (should have given W8DRZ an HT  :-)  )
60 ARRL sections, 1 DX

This includes 13,500 bonus for activating 27 counties, and 1 qso with W3KWH.
There are also several extra qsos included due to double logging of county line
stations.

This is not the score that will be submitted to the sponsors.

Much experience by myself and others has shown that SSB qsos as a mobile are
very difficult. So as an experiment, I chose not to do a true mobile, but rather
stop in several places, mostly counties expected to be rare, and throw up a 40
meter dipole in an effort to be loud enough to make an impact on SSB.  This made
me a rover.  However, the PaQP sponsors do not allow rovers to make qsos while
en route between stops.  Therefore I will be entering two logs, one mobile, and
one rover.  Only after much more processing will I have the breakdown between
the two.

My rover results were quite gratifying.  We made six rover stops, in Mercer,
Venango, Jefferson, Forest, Snyder, and Juniata counties. All of the 40 SSB
qsos, and a few CW QSOs were made during these stops.  The average antenna
height was about 20 feet at the center, either with a string tossed over a tree
limb or with a DK9SQ fiberglass mast. In Forest county we used a 75/40 dipole,
which included all the 75 meter qsos. But this was about a half hour before
sunset, before much activity had moved there.

We were quite successful in running from all six stops.  In particular, from
Jefferson county (Saturday afternoon) and Juniata county (Sunday noon) we had
the 10 qso rate timer over 250, and in Juniata had the 100 qso timer as high as
155/hr.  Quite an improvement from mobile antennas where making 10 SSB qsos in a
row is a big accomplishment.

High points:

Literally, the stop in Juniata county.  We were at a small trailhead parking
area at the top of an 1900 foot ridge (1300 feet above the valleys on either
side) and had a very convenient tree limb at about 30 feet. Juniata had not had
much activity, and we had lots of "thanks for the new one", and several "thanks
for the last county" reports, to go with the great rates.

The serious activity by a number of Europeans who were following us from county
to county. With the Hustler 3 band system I picked up last month, I was able to
work many of them on both 15 and 20 CW, plus a few on 15 SSB.  DL6KVA may have
won the award for being the quickest to work me when I showed up on a band with
propagation to EU, with SP4JWR, DL5MC, and LY3BA (on Sunday) not far behind.
DL6KVA or SP4JWR will likely win the award for the most qsos with a given
station.

The beautiful weather, with the leaves changing colors making it a pleasure just
to be driving around.  With a good contest, priceless.

73  -  Jim  K8MR   and  Jim  W8DRZ/Designated Driver