[3830] CQWW SSB W9RE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w9re@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W9RE SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:32:36 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   18     6        7
   80:  116    16       56
   40:  230    25       82
   20:  606    34      108
   15:  883    33      121
   10: 1264    28      110
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Thanks for all the q's especially from the new ops in DL, PA and G land.  Also
the activity from VE land is really incredible (and helps runs to JA).

Congratulations to Gator (@K5ZD) and to Bob KQ2M for great jobs despite
questionable conditions.

I was prepared for a below average contest and was not very enthused at the
start but just kind of went through the motions.  I had the TV set up near the
operating table so I could watch college football and the baseball world series
on Saturday which I did but still kept going through the motions waiting for the
conditions to slide into the toilet.  Never exactly happened (except bad
conditions all weekend on 160), so Sunday morning when I went to 10 and had a
European best clock hour of 210 (1300z) I got some enthusiasm back and finished
as strong as possible.

160 experienced most likely the worst conditions on a contest weekend in 30
years of contesting (I could not work a  zone 3).

Had to completely shut down Saturday morning (for 1.5 hours) during the European
run because of a bad lightning storm.  It's always a tough decision on whether
to risk keep operating and possibly taking a lightning hit or playing it safe
and shutting down until the storm passes.  In this case with the contest season
just starting I decided to play it safe and shut down, I was glad I did because
during one strike there was a hit that produced a fire ball from an ungrounded
open wire feedline that I forgot to ground.  I think that had I left everything
energized and connected I would have suffered some damage.