[3830] CQWW SSB K1KD SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1KD SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:11:51 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1KD
Operator(s): K1KD
Station: K1KD

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:    5     3        2
   80:   52    10       32
   40:  109    15       51
   20:  323    24       85
   15:  329    25       89
   10:  496    22       83
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment Description: Kenwood TS-850, Collins 30L-1, KT34A (50ft), 40m
dipole (50ft), 40/80/160m dipole (65ft), WriteLog

Comments:
I'm glad that 10m showed up for the contest.  Good conditions on 10m and a
slightly better 75m antenna helped me increase my score over last year's by
15%.  Conditions were favorable on Saturday morning allowing me to log a
great one hour 10m rate of over 100 (a personal best for this contest).
The Sunday opening wasn't as strong and I had to switch to 15m, and finally
20m to keep a run going.  The rest of the time was lots of search and
pounce.  A new homebrew 75m dipole worked pretty well, which replaced the
exact same thing that I had last year.  The only difference is that this
antenna is resonant for the upper part of the band.  The swr is low through
a good portion of the phone part of the band allowing me to use the
amplifier.  Anybody know a trick for making a standard center-fed dipole
more broad-banded on 80m? I'm using 14-gauge stranded wire fed with RG-213.
The bandwidth (less than 2:1 swr) is only about 150kHz.

I had some RFI issues on 20m which I didn't realize until Sunday afternoon.
I guess when I'm transmitting on 20m, with the amp running, with the beam
pointed NE, with my Hiel headset cable draped over the keyboard tray so as
to make a 47 degree angle with respect to the home row of my keyboard... I
get lots of RFI into the MIC input of the radio!  I didn't have any idea
where it was coming from for awhile.  I suspected that it was coming in
thru the auxillary mic input that I use to play my voice recording files
from my computer.  Instead, it was actually coming in through my headset
cable. Winding the cable around my hand and holding it while transmitting
reduced the RFI (a human rf choke)!  At one point I was sustaining a fairly
respectable rate while logging with one hand and holding the headset cable
in the other!  I bought a bunch of Radio Shack snap-on rf chokes and that
seems to have fixed the problem.  Looking forward to CW.

Grant Kesselring, K1KD
Milton, VT