[3830] CQWW SSB VE1JF M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE1JF M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:44:44 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE1JF
Operator(s): K8CC, K9TM, KT8X, NY1S, W8MJ
Station: VE1JF

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NS
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   61     7       13
   80:  424    16       75
   40: 1053    25       96
   20: 2416    35      122
   15: 2305    31      125
   10: 1418    28      119
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Rigs:

FT-1000MP, Alpha 87A
FT-1000M5, Alpha 87A

Antennas:

C51XR @ 110', C31XR @ 70', C51XR @ 35' (one tower)
80M four-square
160M inverted-V

Jim, VE1JF invited a team from MRRC and YCCC to come do multi-2 from his station
in the SW corner of NS.  On the way up, we were resigned to the possibility of a
lousy weekend propagation-wise after hearing the doom and gloom reports on the
airport version of CNN, but that turned out not to be the case.

The first night, the disturbed condx were evident most on 40M.  Signals were
muddy on all paths, and even the EU big guns were not that loud.  On most bands
it seemed that multipliers which are typically easy pickings from the K8CC
antenna farm in MI were a struggle to work, which we attributed to our
relatively high latitude.  During the early portion of the evening we
compensated by running a lot of USA stations on 20M and 40M.  80M was pretty
good to EU within an hour of their sunrise.

Once EU opened Saturday morning, the complexion of the contest changed rapidly.
Being able to run EU below the US phone band on 20M and 15M was a real treat.
Eventually 10M opened pretty well and like everyone else, we jumped on it and
ran it hard in case things deteriorated the second day.  Fortunately, 10M stayed
open both days long enough for 20M to get good.

The second night was better on 40M, but still was not as good as we thought it
should be with many multipliers a struggle.  We were getting spots through Jim's
Compuserve dial-up connection, but many of the spotted stations we simply could
not hear.  Again, we attributed this to our northern latitude.

160M was a struggle for us, but not for the usual reason.  The inverted vee
seemed to hear reasonably well, but few DX stations could hear us.  For example,
our high latitude neighbors over at VB2C one-called HC8N right over us, then
subsequently HC8N CQe'd in our face repeatedly.  (This is not to single out
HC8N, but only as an example.)  Our 160M line score tells the gruesome tale.
OTOH, GI3OQR was S9+20dB on the FT-1000MP's S-meter - incredible!  (Yes, he
heard us).  At these same time, OT3A was a lot weaker but perfectly copiable yet
they CQ'ed in our face.

Sunday was more of the same, running EU below the US band then moving up into
the band and making hay to the states.  We did not work many mults the second
day - very few showed up on packet so we decided to stick with rate and "CQing
for mults".  In looking at the zone and country maps after the contest was over,
it's clear that Asia and the Far East are the hard regions to get to from VE1
(particularly with disturbed conditions).  Many of our few Far East mults were
worked over EU - JT1BV called in during the first ten minutes for zone 23!

There were some equipment problems during the weekend, including StackMatches
that weren't working exactly right and the rotator under the top beam which is
probably not correct.  However, the important stuff worked and we wound up with
more QSOs than we expected.

The team would like to thank Jim, VE1JF for his wonderful hospitality and
unflagging enthusiasm throughout the weekend.  There will be a YCCC crew at the
station for CQWW CW weekend - we've got all the stuff warmed up for them :-)