[3830] CQWW SSB 6D9X(@XE1UN) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6an@pghmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 6D9X(@XE1UN) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:13:11 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 6D9X
Operator(s): XE1UN, XE1NK, XE3VW, XE1NTT
Station: XE1UN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Yuri, XE1UN, pulled this operation together at the last minute.  He and Alberto,
XE1NK, did all the leg work to obtain the callsign.  Rodrigo, XE1SRF, kindly
lent us his 500 watt amplifier for the weekend.  Sergio came out from Merida to
experience contesting with us.
We set up at Yuri's house in Cocoyoc, an hour south of Mexico City.  He has a
tower mounted on the house that reaches about 70' and supports an A3S with 40
meters, a WARC beam, and VHF/UHF antennas.  We rigged up a B&W 180' all band
folded dipole off the tower which looked great and worked poorly.  80 meters was
rescued with a sloping dipole hung off the tower toward the Northeast.
In the shack we had an FT-1000MP and Ameritron 808 for the run station.  An Icom
756pro was set up for the mult station.  Since we were unable to set up a
network or interface the radios to computers, we used one laptop running DX4Win
at the main station and did what we could to make a few mult QSOs with the
756pro.  We were basically a single 500W station (100W on 10mtrs) with three
operators and no packet.
Our contest effort was a learning experience for all.  We had a lot of fun
operating despite the challenges our situation presented.  Our 160mtr antenna
didn't really work, low power on 10mtrs, having to download multiplier
information from the logging program to make sure the 10 minute rule was not
broken while looking for multipliers, too few operators, very limited antennas
for a multi setup.
On the other hand, Yuri's hospitality was superb.  We slept well in comfy beds,
enjoyed fine meals provided by his family, had a pool available for those so
inclined, and enjoyed a quiet country setting including quiet band conditions
most of the weekend.
The flare experience on Sunday was very interesting.  The band just turned off,
as Yuri put it.  Quite soon we could work US stations, and settled into running
them as fast as we could.  Eventually we were working some EU and Oceania as
well.  I had some fun, short spurts of rate up to 10 a minute.
Look for 6D9X and other XE callsigns in the future.  Both Yuri and Alberto are
serious in their efforts to educate themselves about contesting and to be
active.  Both show plenty of potential as budding CW ops.  And Sergio may have
gotten the bug from his time spent with us.
Thanks to all for the QSOs and multipliers.  The contest was loads of fun!

73, David XE1NTT/N6AN