[3830] CQWW SSB PY8MD SOSB/80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, py8azt@uirapuru.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB PY8MD SOSB/80 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:36:27 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: PY8MD
Operator(s): PY8MD
Station: PY8MD

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Ajuruteua Beach
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:  103    16       39
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Uirapuru DX Club

Comments:

Late this year we have being looking for our contest station site. There are at
least three candidate sites. We?d like to check each one before make ours mind.
We have begun checking one this CQWW. It is Ajuruteua Beach ? located in the
shore, northeastern Pará State, eastern Amazonian Basin.

On the beach, about 300 feet away from sea, there are two telecommunication
towers, both over 300 feet high ? separated by others 300 feet. So, why not set
an 80m vertical loop and see what can we do in the contest? So that was our
effort: SOSB 80m LP.

We got Ajuruteua on Thursday night and started climbing towers to raise the
antenna. At 0300 A.M. local time, we finished. I went to check SWR and
conditions. 80m Seemed in good shape and nice reports.

The schedule was, at night PY8MD goes to 80m, and in lights day I play with loop
in high bands. I was surprised with the reception on the site! Even on 10m I
never stopped listen for Europe. USA came strong on all day! I made 400Q´s on
SOAB HP just for fun. On 80m, PY8MD said he could heard loudly Caribbean, USA,
and mostly Europe stations. Sadly seems we had more ears then mouth. He finished
with hundred QSO, 16 Zones and 39 Countries.

Definitely, Ajuruteua is worth attention. Very quite and low populate site. We
are packing antennas and radios for a new effort from Ajuruteua next CQWW CW.

Thank you for all QSOs! See ay in CQWW CW.