[3830] CQWW SSB W5ZL SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5zl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W5ZL SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:08:22 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W5ZL
Operator(s): W5ZL
Station: W5ZL

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    2     2        2
   40:   25    11       16
   20:   89    19       44
   15:  216    22       81
   10:  249    24       78
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Further confirmation why I never was (nor ever will be) a serious phone
contester.

Very strange conditions ? mostly pretty good on the high bands but thought for
sure somebody had stuck a pin in my coax around 11:30 local time Sunday morning.
All three bands (10, 15 and 20) went nearly silent here at the same time. Used
the time constructively, though, (K5NA graciously agreed to move to 40 with me
so I could get a USA mult) and then went off to watch the Cowboys game (aka,
?take a nap?) on the assumption that whatever solar or geomagnetic bomb had hit
us would doom the rest of the contest. When I ambled back into the shack after
the game/nap to assess the destruction, 10 was hotter than a pistol.

Other observations: There are sure a lot of ops out there who don?t know how to
adjust the mic gain or compression on their rigs. And if I am ever on the DX end
of one of these phone contests, I promise to ID every now and then so I don?t
keep the S&P guys on the other end hovering to see if they?ve already worked me.