[3830] SS CW W6ML(W6KC) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6kc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W6ML(W6KC) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:30:53 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6KC

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SJV
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
  160:
   80:   39
   40:  120
   20:  185
   15:  295
   10:  221
------------

Club:

Comments:

This year I operated SS CW from a portable location in Mammoth Lakes (SJV
Section) which is 8,000 feet in the High Sierra of central California.   There
was a light snow while I putting up my 4 dipoles in the pine trees.  The
temperature was in the 20?s and I had just shot one of my guy lines high into
one of the pine trees.  I happen to looked down the road to notice a bear
walking my way.  I quickly closed the back hood of my Explorer and backed away
waiting to the bear to pass so I could finished getting my dipoles up.  The bear
came up to my car and looked in the back.  Fortunately all I had inside was my
antenna wires and coax.  The bear then proceeded to climb the tree when I had
just launched a guy line.  I guess he thought I was a backpacker hanging some
food really high.  My guy line was at about 60 feet in the tree and the bear
climbed all the way up to where the guy line was and spent quite some time
trying to find the non-existent food.  Finally he climbed back down the tree and
wandered away.  Fortunately, even with the bear delay, I finished my antenna
launching about 40 minutes before the start of SS.

The new version of CT that I downloaded for SS includes a counter for how many
times you hit the F1 key to call CQ.   My final CQ count was an amazing 4,281.
I probably used 3,000 of those CQs on Sunday afternoon.

I was hoping that I could break the previous SJV all-time record for the ?U?
category (111,040 points), get a sweep and make 1,000 QSOs.  Well, as they say,
two out of three with just dipoles (and a 500W amp) is not too bad.

It was nice using the Mammoth Lakes club call (W6ML) which up till now has only
seen action during CQPs from Mono County.

73,

Jim, W6KC