[3830] SS CW N0YY SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0yy@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N0YY SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:27:24 -0800

Comments:

Rig:

FT-1000MP + Alpha 99
80M Delta Loop
2 El 40 M Beam @ 85 ft
Cushcraft X9 @ 75 ft
WriteLog V10.30

Comments:

Had a blast!  This was my first SS in 23 years.  Yeah I have been part of
multi-op efforts, but this one was just me!  Things have changed yet they remain
the same.  It was great to hear some of my old friends in the contest including
a couple that started me in the contesting part of the hobby almost 40 years
ago.

Was amazed at the CK numbers.  Only worked a few in in the 00 to 03 time slots.
We need to get youth involved to keep this hobby vibrant!

Was a bit disappointed in my own performance but I was the one that made a bad
sleep decision on Saturday evening.  The solar flares on Sunday really
demonstrated how bad that decision was.  I had to stay on and try to work anyone
that could hear me until the bands recovered and thank goodness they did.

Then local mother nature stepped up and  I had to pull the plug with two hours
to go because of heavy lightning.  Oh well, that's what planning and an
operating strategy are all about. Equipment did its job.

Starting rates were lower than I had planned, but Sunday afternoon was just
about what I expected.  For me the multipliers seemed to call me including SC
about an hour before the end.  Missed the sweep, but knew that VY1JA was not
going to happen on Sunday! 40M was the workhorse but the high bands helped as
well.

I'm already looking forward to next year.