[3830] SS CW K5TR(N5RZ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rbowen@nts-online.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K5TR(N5RZ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:03:03 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   90
   40:  346
   20:  402
   15:  454
   10:   96
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Another great CW SS, first time outside of WTX for me since 1990.  Thanks to
George for the use of his station while N5RZ is in transition to a new QTH about
60 miles west of K5TR.

As usual, resisted the temptation to start on 10M and started with 15M. Three
100+ hours on 21028.8 says I did the right thing.  About 0015Z, 15M went long,
after which the rate really crumbled.  Twenty meters wasn't performing despite
the horsepower (6/6 east, 6/6 west).  Twenty cratered early and started running
on 40M much earlier than I'm used to (about 0220Z).  Twenty was good for 2nd
radio Q's until about 0430Z, but several attempts to try running there were met
with futility.

The rate dropped off dramatically and many of the boys had sizeable leads on me.
 Breaking my tradition of doing the first 12 hours straight through, I took a 30
minute off time at 0639, and took off two more hours beginning at 0812Z.  This
actually turned out to be a good plan.

Took several 30 - 40 minute breaks on Sunday.  Sunday Morning provided several
hours in the high 40's/ low 50's with heavy 2nd radio work.   Was able to use
some off time during the flare, and came back to a good run on 10M after it
recovered.

After last years' success late in the contest, I decided to burn all my off time
by 0028Z and do the last 2 1/2 hours.   What a disappointment - I think everyone
quit!!  Only 18Q's from0028-0100, a respectable 45 from 01Z-02Z, and a paltry 26
the last hour!!!

Had 5 VO1's call in for my 79th section, but no VE8/VY1 made it into the log
this year.

Congrats to everyone for their respective successes, and thanks to everyone for
the QSO's.   And a big thanks to George and family for hosting me.   George has
a great station with more growth planned  -  look out guys!!!

73,  Gator  N5RZ