[3830] SS SSB W4NF(@W4RM) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4nf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4NF(@W4RM) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:09:46 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4RM

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  568
   40:  348
   20:  602
   15:   68
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

W4NF @ W4RM That was fun!

A power line noise problem at my QTH that started right before the SSS CW
weekend had still not been fixed by mid last week so Bill, W4RM (my brother)
offered to let me guest op at his place as he had a number of family commitments
over the SS Phone weekend.  We reconfigured his Multi 2 setup to a SO2R setup
with my DX Doubler and used his FT920 and FT 1000MP with 2 Alpha 99's.  All the
work on the antenna system this past year really paid off with great runs at the
beginning of the contest on 20 with the C31XR stack, on 40 with the Force 12 3
Element yagi and the F12 rotatable 80 meter dipole (The antenna system and shack
were pictured in the last issue of NCJ).  It was usually not a problem getting a
run going on any of the bands except 15.  Of course I continued to be distracted
by the spots and ended up feeding on spots sometimes when I should have
continued to run.  Live and learn.

I started hearing the VY1MB signal on 20 about 4 PM local and worked them on the
first call for the Sweep.  Love that stack.

I wanted to really thank Bill, his wife Lori and my nephew Brian for their
hospitality this weekend.  They kept me fed and watered and made the contest a
great operating experience.

73, Jack W4NF