[3830] SS SSB K5UTD School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5aea@k5aea.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5UTD School Club HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:49:55 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5UTD
Operator(s): K5AEA, KB5HWS, KD5QXH, BILL WHOSE CALL I FORGOT.
Station: K5UTD

Class: School Club HP
QTH: Dallas, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  198
   40:  330
   20:  381
   15:  278
   10:    0
------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Started off the test on 15M running a couple of hours at the 100 mark, moved
down to 20M when 15M started waning, and held steady through 0100 after a move
to 40M.  We were getting smashed running on 20M but did a good job running on
40M even with low power.

By 0200 we had lost rate, seems that we switched from 20 too soon, but there was
really no choice, as we were loosing every other call to the QRM.  Same show as
last year - point the beam east and the west moves in to take the freq.

The TH-5 worked great as a west coast RX ant, but we lost roof access just
before the contest and couldnt hook it into the switch so we couldn't run the KW
through it.

Found out later in the evening that one of the 80M dipoles was resonant in the
top of the band and the other was resonant in the bottom.  This was good for TX,
but there was a lot of noise on one, so there was a lot of switching between
dipoles to to hear through the +20 noise.  Still managed to have an 80 hour on
80M late in the evening, as KD5QHX and I strained to pull it through the noise.
Thanks to all those who hung in there to get us the exchange - if we worked you
on 80M then you were 20 over, but so was the campus power plant's noise.

Closed up shop by 2:30am cst when the rates fell out, our numbers were just over
700 and 1400 Qs was looking possible.

Started back up Sun morning and ran rate on 20M for as long as we could hold the
freq.  Worked a couple of Italians who gave us +20 in EU, but the software
wouldn't take EU as a valid section - darn.  15M was a no-show until late in the
day, and the quagmire on 20M didn't help the rates.

All in all, with the bad [horrible, terrible, repulsive] condx Sun, a great time
was had by all.  Got the sweep in the last few minutes of op time, after trying
to break the NWT pileup for 10 minutes. For a while there, I thought we were
going to be embarrassed and miss the mug.  Props to KB5HWS and Bill for sticking
it through Sunday during the hard times while I went home to get some sleep and
studying done - midterms should not be scheduled the Monday after SS.

http://ham.utdallas.edu

K5AEA

             Rig : Primary - FT-1000MP Mark V (Thanks K5TCP!)
                   Secondary - IC-775DSP
                   Amp - AL-80B (Thanks K5TCP!)

        Antennas : TH-11DX @ 100ft
                   TH-5DX @ 60ft
                   40M Rotary Dipole @ 106ft
                   Inverted Vees for 80M TX & K9AY Loops for 80M RX