[3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@juno.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:22:57 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  149
   40:  399
   20:  913
   15:  483
   10:   48
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I had a lot of problems here, and could have done quite a bit better.

A family emergency just before the contest disturbed my focus.

I had an rfi complaint from a neighbor on Saturday afternoon. Jacki handled it
beautifully, handing him a radio shack bullet-proof phone, and a high pass
filter. She did promise that I would call on Monday to work it out. (groan)
I think that distracted me, too.

Computer lockups, never a problem before, caused loss of time with many hard
reboots (reset button, Scandisk, etc).

After the computer lockups, the w9xt voice recorder had a buzz on it, and
sounded crappy for the rest of the weekend. I hate crappy audio.

I spent too much time chasing NL mult under bad band condx.

I did something bad with the bandmap on Sunday morning, and somehow both radios
got on 20 meters. Consequently, the front end of the left TS-850 got burned
up.
>From that point on, it was one radio into an old SB-220.

I spent too much time messing around with packet. I should have just used it to
find the rare mults, and then unplugged it. It also contributed to burning up
the TS-850. Overall, I think use of packet reduced my score.

I think I'm losing my enthusiasm for voice contests in general.

Gee, all of those comments sound pretty negative. I'd better say something
nice.
Despite the problems, it is always great fun keeping the Sweepstakes tradition
going. It's like part of the holiday season. Thanks for all the QSO's, and Happy
Holidays to all.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL