[3830] CQWW CW W2LC SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2lc@ix.netcom.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W2LC SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:46:15 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W2LC
Operator(s): W2LC
Station: W2LC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   15     5       11
   80:  216    17       64
   40:  450    27       89
   20:  434    27       90
   15:  546    28       87
   10:  446    27       88
------------------------------

Club: RDXA

Comments:

I never got any extended runs going, being in central NY the aurora seemed to
hurt things at times.  A couple hours over 100 and a few 90 hours but nothing
really good, and many fair hours.  I guess I need a taller tower and bigger
antennas or an island in the ocean.  The three stack of tri-banders and my
homebrew phasing box did work well though, sure cuts down on the antenna
turning, and I can phase combinations to both Europe and Asia which seems to
help.  The Europeans were unbelievable on 80m, some were 40 over S9.  The snow
static was really bad all day Saturday with a constant rushing sound from the 8
inches of snow hitting the antennas on the way down.  I actually had to use my
beverages on 20/15/10 sometimes so I could hear.  And add the AC power
fluctuations on top of that, (I have to get a UPS for the rig and computer) and
it was an interesting weekend.  The transceiver kept cutting out on me, I had to
shut it off quickly and then back on to get it to start transmitting again.  You
would think I was in a third world country or something.

Instead of antenna work, I?ve spent most of my time cutting wood from trees
damaged in an ice storm early this year and then damaged a second time by wind
this fall.  I?ll be cutting for a long time.  Only a turnbuckle and the 160m
tuning network took damage.  Very lucky a 60 foot tree went down ?easy? onto the
west set of guys during the ice storm, I?m lucky the tower didn?t go down too.

Overall a very good contest.  I think my best multiplier total, due to doing
well on 40m, and I can?t complain too much about 2100 QSOs considering my rag
tag station and antennas.  The poor man?s contest station as I like to call it.
73 Scott W2LC