[3830] CQWW CW W4PM SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hmmjr@erols.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W4PM SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 05:53:01 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W4PM
Operator(s): W4PM
Station: W4PM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 22.6

  160:
   80:   30     9       19
   40:  186    23       71
   20:  139    22       68
   15:  194    19       65
   10:   96    20       51
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Rigs: Ten Tec Delta II, Icom 706
Antenna: 110 ft C.F. Zepp @ 40 Feet
Conditions: S5 to S7 line noise all weekend

Picked up backup rig (Delta II) from river cottage (Paragon died 2 mos ago).
Saturday morning found the Delta II was dead on 10 M.  I'll just operate 4
bands! With my antenna, 160M not worth the time spend calling DX with no
response!  Reached 500 Q's (last year's total) Sunday morning and was 100K
points behind last year's score.  Ouch!  Grabbed mobile rig (706) and got on 10M
a bit late. Tried running during prime times on the bands but line noise
prevented hearing the weaker responses.  Hunt & pounce the only way to go.

80 M - very frustrating - Even the big guns in EU could barely hear me
40 M - Great conditions - got most on the first call - my best band
20 M - Had to work harder than last year for similiar results
15 M - Not bad - Did better here than last year
10 M - I missed the best EU opening - only got on here late Sunday

All in all it was great fun.  Who says CW is dead!  I just wonder where all
these excellent cw contest ops go after a contest.  Are they like bats who fly
into their cave and hang there until the next contest comes around. Perhaps they
will sneak out to work Europa but it seems rag chewing on CW is indeed becoming
a dying art.

CU on the bands,
Puck, W4PM