[3830] CQWW CW W9RE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w9re@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W9RE SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:04:50 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   48    13       26
   80:  186    18       60
   40:  721    29       83
   20:  578    35       92
   15:  912    33       98
   10:  790    29       86
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Friday 4 hours before the start I discovered I had no rotator indication on my
top 15 antenna.  It had been fine on Thursday and it is the only fully rotatable
15 meter antenna I have, all others are side mounted and limited.  It was in the
20's F., 30mph winds with blowing snow but I had to make an attempt to fix.  I
went up the tower to the rotor at 150' and tried for about an hour but could not
find the problem.  Thus I missed my before contest nap and I was pretty cold to
boot.   To change direction on the beam I had to go outside and shuttle back and
forth to the radio room to move the antenna, luckily not too bad but sure could
have used it for the African mults in the afternoons!

Also had a Mr. Murphy problem with my 80 meter beam, when it was pointed SE the
SWR went extremely high but when it was NE (most of the time) it was fine.
Luckily this was on the second day and I have a wire antenna for SE on 80.   I
have no idea in the world why this happened (never happened before).

On a better note, I have had a noise problem (S9 on Beverages) that has
basically wiped out 160 meters this season but the week before the contest (when
it got cold) the noise stopped so I was able to work Europeans for the first
time this year.

Very nice to have pretty good conditions following a so-so week prior. Thanks
again to all the participants that make this the pinnacle of contests.  During
the rough hours of the contests my mind keeps asking me why I am doing this with
absolutely no chance to win even my state but then I keep hearing all the
op's/stations that are doing the same thing all over the world and I keep having
fun.  Again the Europeans and the VE's just keep coming, the JA participation
seemed up this year also-thanks from all the stations that just run and have the
luxury of all the answers.

This was as close to a 100% effort on my part as I will ever achieve, I did have
the TV on and watched some football and basketball but it was in the background.
 Even without a nap after first day I felt the best I've ever felt with no sleep
(didn't even feel tired).  At 0800z second day, I took 3 consecutive 60 minute
naps and felt very good the second day, only 1 period of drowsyness.

Evidently I had a signal problem in the last part of the contest, if anyone
would email me privately and tell me what my signal sounded like I would
appreciate it.

Had only 1 or 2 brief frequency encounters and in general was very happy that
there seemed to be room on CW for all.