[3830] CQWW CW K1TN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1TN SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:17:18 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:    7     7        7
   40:   32    14       22
   20:   99    19       55
   15:  103    18       52
   10:   70    14       36
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

I'm just fooling around from down here in east-central Misssssisssssippppi with
a toy radio, an FT100D, and a 130-foot centerfed with the feedpoint up about 25
feet. I mention this because on Sunday morning I worked JH1OGC on 80 meters. I
hadn't planned to do anything on 40 and 80 except try to give the boys in the
Caribbean a few points. On Saturday morning I worked JA5BJC on 40 and thought
"this is way cool." Sunday morning I worked another half-dozen JAs on 40 and
almost couldn't believe it. I slouched down to 80 about 1200Z but the band
seemed empty until I came upon a CQ. It was JH1OGC and I thought "Jim, don't do
this to yourself, don't punish yourself." What the hell, I called him and he
came right back. I just about fell out of my seven-dollar plastic patio chair.

I see that 'OGC holds 80 meter records in both the CQ and ARRL contests, so I
guess he has pretty good ears. (I would be very interested in what he has for a
station.) I then heard a couple more JAs with pileups going so I figured the
opening was for real. I presume I did not work a bootlegger. I'm new to this
part of the world and don't know if this was the Band Opening of the Century or
a common occurence.

I felt like I imagine someone in a Third World country operating on a shoestring
budget must feel, working one of the U.S. big guns. I was grateful.

I'll be on 160 next weekend with a pathetically weak signal. Maybe the MS
multiplier will add some dB. It's great to be back on after 10 years. The good
CW ops haven't got any older, just better.

Jim Cain, K1TN/5