[3830] CQWW CW N4YDU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4ydu@att.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4YDU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:21:06 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4YDU
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: N4YDU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Radios: SO2R

  160:   22     5       11
   80:  109    16       50
   40:  303    21       84
   20:  266    24       82
   15:  550    24       98
   10:  295    26       78
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

WOW! I wasn't sure if I was going to do a big effort until the week before the
contest, but when my girlfriend (Kosha) offered to hang around the house and
help out with food and such, I decided to go for it. I had the best of both
worlds. A pretty girl and the CQWW CW DX contest!

Conditions weren't the greatest, but they were steady which made things very
interesting. I didn't spend too much time on 10 meters, but 15 meters was the
band for me. I called cq for nearly five hours on 15 Saturday and used the
second radio to pick people off on 10M. I did have some good runs on 10M Sunday
morning. 20M was very good to Europe for a stretch on Saturday afternoon, but I
probably could have got more out of the band. 20M is a real weak point for me.

40M was great, although I didn't think I was going to log a single JA. I finally
got one to hear me just after sunrise on Sunday. 80M was good to Europe and 160
was a disappointment.

I decided to use my laptop to cut out monitor noise and RFI in the keyboard. It
made things a little easier for me. I went with CT for the logging program.

I also decided to go with my call instead of the club call (NR3X). I just like
N4YDU on CW for some reason. The final score was a personal best.

Station:

Radios: Icom 765 and 761
Antennas: TA33JR at 35 feet, 3 ele 15M yagi (fixed NE) at 30 feet, 20M delta
loop at 50 feet (fed with open wire for use on 15 and 10 with a tuner), 40M
inverted vee at 60 feet, 80M ground plane and 160 Inverted L.

I hope to see everyone in the ARRL CW contest.

CW RULES!

Nate/N4YDU