[3830] CQWW CW P40E(CT1BOH) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ct1boh@sapo.pt
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW P40E(CT1BOH) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:51:26 -0800

Club: GPDX

Comments:

Rainbow Magic at P43P station

http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh/rainbow1.jpg

http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh/station.jpg

http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh/p40e.jpg

http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh/team.jpg

Highlights:

1. New Claimed South America Record ? 17 Million
2. New Claimed CQWW SOAB CW QSO Record ? 7947
3. First time ever SOAB CW over 8000 QSOs ? 8183 (236 dupes) averaging 170 an
hour
4. Consistent big runs - 12 hours above 200 QSOs (most of them working
Europeans)
5. Hitting 261 QSOs in an hour. A personal best!
6. The amazing feeling of sensing the pile up in sync with me mimicking my style
of operating through out the contest.
7. Working a USA pile up on 160 at 40 WPM?s through noise and static crashes
8. Propagation! The big solar flares produced a mixture of good all around
conditions with strong North/South typical low sunpot cycle propagation.

Lowlights:

1.Although fully SO2R setup, there was something wrong with the filtering which
prevented a decent SO2R operation. When on 40, 20 or 15, I could hear me all
over on the bands down 20,15, and 10 preventing me to get all those night time
weak DX (Pacific, Asia long path and Indian Ocean). Only when I was on 10 I
could hear 100% on the bands above.

2. The SO2R A, A+B, B switch broke half way into the contest. It was a pain
changing A to A+B and back to A

3. I stupidly missed workable zones. Zone 6 on 160, zone 12 on all the bands
except 10. zone 13 on 40 and 80, zone 22 on all the bands, zone 26 on all the
bands. Could not break the TO4WW pile up on 10 meters?

4. Somehow I feel I could have done a lot better multiplier wise. The problems
with the SO2R clearly show room from improvement.

Thanks:

I have to thank Jacky and his lovely family (Marylin, Stephanie, Alexandra and
Francine, plus Semba and Punchy the dogs) who put up with me for a week. Their
hospitality always makes me want to come back. P43P?s Station performance in a
compact all in one tower shows his technical skill. I am lucky enough to just
sit, turn on the radios and operate. It is a true luxury!

Thanks Emily P43E for all the support with the equipment and licencing. She is a
sweetheart!

Thanks to Jim for pushing me back into contesting. If it wasn?t him pushing me
back to do the CQWW?s this fall I would be surfing the Indonesia reef waves with
my beach bums instead. I was a little afraid about my copying CW abilities. I
had been a year without turning the radio and working a pile-up, but somehow I
managed to get through.  It helped to do 2000 QSO?s the week before the
contest.

Anyway enough of small talk but this were a very emotional contest for me!

ENNN

José Carlos Cardoso Nunes
CT1BOH/P40E