[3830] CQWW CW 9M2/G4ZFE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4zfe@g4zfe.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 9M2/G4ZFE SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 03:54:05 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 9M2/G4ZFE
Operator(s): G4ZFE
Station: 9M2/G4ZFE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kuala Lumpur
Operating Time (hrs): 44

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   14    11       14
   40:  231    23       57
   20:  837    31       93
   15:  872    31       77
   10:  655    24       63
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Equipment

IC-756 Pro and IC-PW1 amplifier - 400W output
Force 12 C3-S at 22 feet
40m Inverted Vee at 33 feet
40m/80m low dipole at 20 feet

After having spent the last few contests using wire verticals the Force 12 C3-S
(there's a long story about how difficult it was to buy and import this antenna
into 9M2!) was put up on a temporary mast on the shack roof. Only 22 feet in the
air and pointing about 10 degrees downwards (!) the beam did a great job
although the "out of the box" 10m settings resonated at 28.8 MHz and the IC-PW1
internal ATU had problems with the high SWR at the CW end and I had to run
limited power on 10m.

The antenna was fixed North (roughly W1/W2) which allowed the US, Eu and JA to
be worked. It made multiplier hunting difficult and probably reduced my
multiplier count more than I would have liked.

Friday was spent putting up the antennas with the assistance of Sangat, 9M2SS. I
managed to get sunburnt and then absolutely drenched. I finished up exhausted
and wishing that the contest was the following weekend!

Propagation was, well different. The usual late night openings to Eu never
really happened but instead I had the best propagation I have experienced here
to the US. I worked more East Coast stations that ever and signals were S9 plus.
East Coast US is usually difficult due to the polar path and I guess the K=1
conditions helped here!

First time contesting with a decent(ish) 40m antenna. It seemed to radiate but I
had trouble hearing stations with local QRN and weaker than expected signals.

Packet pileups were difficult. Everyone calling on the same frequency and then
without stopping to listen! I would answer a station and then have to repeat the
exchange as the pileup did not stop. In the end most of the time I would just
change frequency. After spending too much time this year SSB and RTTY contesting
I was not ready for this.

A good year for 9M2 multipliers. Myself, 9M2TO, 9M4JB (Champ, E21EIC) and
9M2/G3TMA were all active.

Thank you for the QSOs. Great to bump into friends and exchange a quick hello.
Thanks as ever to Sangat, 9M2SS for the loan of his station.

73 de Rich, 9M2/G4ZFE