[3830] ARRL 160 N9CO(@W0AH) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N9CO@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N9CO(@W0AH) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:50:57 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N9CO
Operator(s): N9CO
Station: W0AH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): ~30

Total:  QSOs = 744  Sections = 75  Countries = 6  Total Score = 122,229

Club:

Comments:

Fun contest.  Thanks again to Doug, W0AH and his wife Judy for being such
gracious hosts.  Missed the first 2 hours and 49 minutes of this contest because
Doug and I started out as W0AH multiop only to have Murphy stop by for a visit
and smoke the fixed cap in the omega match on the shunt-fed 90' tower.  W0AH was
done for the contest after 66 qso's.  The only replacement cap Doug could find
in his extensive junque box was an air variable that didn't look like it could
take the juice from the Titan amp.  An executive decision was made to activate
N9CO as a low power single op entry.  A quick reconfigure of TR-Log and I was
off to the races.

Didn't know what to expect as my Top Band experience from Illinois is minimal,
and my experience here even less.  No real strategy except to concentrate on
rate and pick up the mults during S&P.  Sorta like a 160m SS.  Doug's antenna
farm plays very well, and having 3 beverages (NE/SW, E/W, and NW/SE) really made
the difference in copying.  I listened at times on the vertical, only to be
rewarded with S9 plus static.  I'm guessing that I would only make one third of
the qso's if I didn't have the bevs.  My left hand sure got a workout with the
bev switch!  Remarkable directivity differences.  Selecting the right bev often
was the deciding factor if the qso was made or not.  I used the bev's for all my
contacts.

Missed AL, MAR, NT, PR and RI.  Only heard VY2ZM the second night, around 0500z,
and Jeff was very weak.  I was only able to get a couple of "?" from him when he
was CQ'ing around 1822 kHz.  No EU or JA heard, although I did hear some east
coasters work a few europeans.

I used a recently de-clicked (INRAD mod) FT-1000MP barefoot.  TR-Log (of
course!) for logging.

Tnx fer all the QSO's!

Vy 73,
Charlie  N9CO