[3830] ARRL 10 W5KFT(K5PI) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rbrandon@austin.ibm.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W5KFT(K5PI) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:59:00 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W5KFT
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 36

   CW: 1567   107
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1567   107  Total Score = 672,388

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

After such good conditions during CQWW CW, I was hoping this weekend would be a
wild ride.  I think this weekend showed the fickle side of 10 instead.  What a
VARIED contest this one can be!  A few headlines:

Last year, my opening hour was 112.  This year, it was, uh . . . 17.

Last year, I had 4 hours over 100/hour, and 6 more in the 90s.  This year, I had
three over 100 and two in the 80s.   Everything else was in the 60s or below.

Of my almost 1600 QSOs, only 76 were with EU.  I worked only 33 JAs, and an
almost equal number (29) of Oceania stations.

This is the only single band contest I've ever done (except a little help with
160 multi-ops), but I really makes me see the value of those efforts.  The first
time I did this contest in 1999, I remember being fascinated by the "spotlight"
of propagation that moved from Europe, then slowly across the US, then finally
into Japan.  This weekend, it didn't seem so much like that.  There were some
times when all the QSOs would come from just a couple of states, but there were
many other times when I was working the entire country with solid signals.